Thursday, October 11, 2007

Lightroom

I've recently purchased Lightroom and I am impressed.

I've avoided this product in the past for various reasons. During it's year long beta period, I was too busy with other projects. When it sent on sale, I was reluctant to spend the money ($299 USD) or, more importantly, take the time to learn a new tool.

After some interesting comments from other photographers, I finally decided to take the plunge.

Now if you are not fluent on digital workflow and what it means, I suggest you go out and read Peter Krogh's The DAM book immediately. As a professional photographer, digital workflow is almost as important as light.

It's hard to describe what lightroom does, as it covers multiple areas of your workflow. So, I'll simply explain by showing how I'm using it in my own workflow.

Priot to lightroom, I used imageinjesterpro to load my photos from memory cards or external disks after a shoot. This task would:
  • Copy the files to my local disk and a backup disk (I always have two copies)
  • Rename the files according to my naming convention
  • Store them in a file folder by date of the shoot
  • load my default metadata
Afterwards, I would use Adobe Bridge to rate, keyword, and perform general editing of the pictures. Finally I converted my raw files (I only shoot raw) to DNG and update my photolibrary. Iview Pro (now Media Expression) managed my photo library.

Now.....

Lightroom imports my files from cards or external disks, renames them, applies my default metadata and processing, copies them to two locations and converts them to DNG in one step. It also runs in the background, so I can do other things while this happens.

As an added plus, it will read the XMP files that my Epson P-5000 creates, so I can rate work in the field without having to redo it when I get home.

Lightroom has replaced Imageinjester Pro.

Iview Pro was beginning to slow down with my library size, while lightroom keeps going strong. I can also directly edit work with non-destructive editing , white balance, etc. It can also apply my default processing to images as they are loaded, so I can often skip this step for creating proofs.

Lightroom has replaced Iview Pro (Media Expression) and Adobe Bridge.

As well, I can resize, remove dust spots, print, and export to different formats (such as jpgs).

All and all, Lightroom has replaced three core applications in my workflow (Iviewpro, imageinjester, and Bridge) with more efficiency and more options.

If you haven't taken a look at Lightroom, I recommend you download the 30-day free trial. It's well worth your time. If you are a member of EP, ASMP, or some of the other professional groups, you can even get a discount on the purchase price.

- Scott -

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home